Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Quantity has a quality all its own- why “unpainted” vs painted figures

The obvious question about my efforts here is why, unlike almost all those who attempt to war game with figures, am I using “unpainted” figures instead of figures painted in detail.

The answer is 3 fold;

1st  I don’t actually enjoy painting figures and I’m not very good at it.  I have about 330 figures I’ve painted and while I enjoy looking at them on display in their glass curio cabinet, their fragility (and less than professional paint job) limits their actual use, and therefore my enjoyment of them.

2nd is best summed up by the quote (often attributed to Stalin) “Quantity has a quality all its own” , that is, I’m going for a large scale, which I think is cool in its own right, and that more than makes up for the lack of detail on each figure.  Since childhood I’ve love how a bunch of unpainted 1/32 figures in formation look.  This effort is that love writ large.

3rd fully painting the number of figures needed for the scale of engagement I’m planning would be prohibitively expensive in terms of money and time.  It would also exponentially increase the amount of effort and space needed to safely store the collection to prevent the paint being chipped.  All a hassle I’m happy to avoid.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ideas for favorite unique figure poses

In reorganizing many of my various units some things this hobby come into focus.  My various units’ figures come a variety of different sets...